Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Love Your Gay Mormon Self

In Tuesday's New York Times there was an article about the “Fatosphere"- a blogging community of fat people whose motto is "love your fat self." It made me think about the Mormon queerosphere we have going on. There certainly are a lot of similarities between the emerging "fat and proud" soap boxes and our moho blogs.

Being shunned and misunderstood by society, both of our groups cling to an online subculture for validation and for emotional support. We also share a variety of outlooks on our respective identities. Some of these fat people are trying to change their fatness, others are happy with their weight. Some of us as gay Latter-day Saints are trying to live celibate or mixed orientation lifestyles, others are happy in homosexual relationships. But we bond together. Like these fat people, who traditionally have low self-esteems, we have created a place where we can accept, embrace, and be proud of our mohoness. Why don't we, as a community embrace the slogan, "Love Your Gay Mormon Self?"

3 comments:

Matt said...

Shunned? I don't feel shunned . . .

On another note,

Shun the non-believer! Shun! ShuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnUH!

Love that candy mountain.

Andrew said...

minorities unite!
many of us are shunned, either by society or by the low self-esteem that has been brewing inside of ourselves. For most of my life, I couldn't love myself. Therefore I couldn't understand why anyone would love me. But this whole experience has taught me to love myself.

Craig said...

Why? To be honest, I do feel shunned, because I do love my GAY mormon self (emphasis on the gay), and refuse to feel all guilty and self-loathing and jealous and etc., and it seems that because I am unashamed (not proud, but unashamed) of being gay, and of having found a way to be more or less happy, I am treated differently.

I think that some don't embrace it because they themselves are insecure about these two sides of themselves, feel conflicted, and sometimes, transfer those feelings over to those who have chosen to live a more openly gay perhaps less mormon life.